Thursday, December 9, 2010

36 Weeks

Well, I had my 36 week checkup this morning. I had a growth ultrasound first, which was really quick. Sorry no photos on this post, but hopefully soon. Baby Benson weighs 6 pounds 7 ounces, and his heart rate was measured at 138. After our ultrasound, we had another non-stress test, and he pass cooperatively without having to be buzzed by the echo machine. We met with one of the perinatologists, Dr. Hwang, to discuss and give us guidance on when this baby should come. My cervix is not dilated yet and my sugars have been very well managed, but he said induction should be made because mothers with diabetes could develop more complications the longer they are pregnant. The worst result could possibly be stillbirth. Dr. Hwang asked us when we'd like to have this baby. I was thinking the week after Christmas, however, he must have had something else in mind. A full term baby these days is considered anywhere from 37-41 weeks. So I have an appointment next Thursday for an amniocentesis to see if the baby's lungs are developed, and if they are, I will be going into the hospital at 7:30pm Thursday night to be induced. So we could possibly have a baby in our arms next Friday at some time. If his lungs aren't quite developed, then we'll just reschedule anything and try again either the next week or the week after. We will keep everybody posted when we hear back next Thursday on what we are going to do!!!!

No comments: