Saturday, October 29, 2011

Vegas Baby!!!


The Future Kurt & Mindy

Paris Paris


Hoover Dam


Valley of Fire


Me & Hef


Elvis was serenading me.
Well, this has been an eventful week, meaning October 23-30th. It was the first time I left Josh since he was born. But this momma survived, barely.....Thank goodness for Skype and texting. Well I bet you are wondering what I was doing this week. Well I flew out to LAS VEGAS for the 41st Annual Meeting for the College of Optometrists in Vision Development (COVD). Since December, I've been writing papers and studying for my certification for optometric vision therapist. It was quite rocky at first, #1...I haven't written essay papers since college, #2 I had a rough start (I got pregnant & had Joshua, I had my gall bladder out, & then Joshua went into the hospital with RSV), but I overcame all those obstacles and met all my deadlines in time, thanks to the help of my doctors, my mentor (who by the way lives in the state of Washington), and my husband. And the past few months, I've been studying for the 2nd part of the certification...the written test and oral interview to test my knowledge. We (my doctor & I) flew out of Des Moines on Sunday the 23rd and arrived in fabulous Las Vegas around 9pm (pacific time)...2 hours behind Iowa. We unpacked and went to bed. Monday, I had my written test at 8:30am, and it took me about 2 hours to complete 75 multiple choice questions. I wasn't sure about some of the questions, but the more I talked them over with my doctor, I was satisfied with the answers that I chose. The rest of the day, we vegged out poolside and went out that evening to visit the casinos and eat supper. Tuesday, we started out poolside and Dr. T helped me study for my oral interview. Out of all the doctors on the exam board, I was keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't have this one doctor, because he's super smart and writes these blogs that I always read....well....I was lucky enough to get him and another doctor. I was VERY nervous, but when I was in the room with him, I felt very relaxed, but felt intimidated w/ the other doctor. I didn't know how I did on my written test, or even my oral interview, however, I think I found out about 2 hours after my interview ended. A woman on the exam board called my cell phone to congratulate me on passing my certification!!!! To celebrate, Dr. T took me out to Postrio in the Venetian (it's one of Wolfgang Puck's restaraunts), and then we went out to a Blue Man Group show. All I can say is WOW, it was the best show I ever seen, and I had so much energy after the show. We did some more sightseeing at some more casinos. Wednesday we made our way to the Hoover Dam. It was neat to see the bridge the ran over the dam was totally complete. Back in 2008, when we visited, they were only 1/2 done. After the dam, we drove to the Valley of Fire. It was just beautiful out there. It's amazing that God put all the out there, and the wind & rain shaped it into what it is today. When we got back, I believe we got cleaned up and went out to eat. Thursday is when the Annual Meeting actually started. We spent quite a bit of the day in 2-hour lectures, but I had my Vision Therapist education, and learned quite a bit of things I can bring to our practice. That night we also went out to Madame Tussad's Wax Museum. it was Lots of fun!!! Friday we had more classes, a social gathering honoring new inductees for COVD, and then that night we were so tired we decided to stay in and chill out. I think I was sleeping by 10:30. Saturday we had more classes, went out and ate crepes, attended more classes, then that night we went to the induction banquet. I got to stand up in front of all my peers & doctors as they announced my name, and shake their hands of congrats. Sunday, I get to fly home...can't wait....I miss my boys.

No comments: